Monday, March 16, 2009

Information Found

So I searched through my many pages of "adjunct info" and finally came across the section on academic dishonesty.  Such a polite way to refer to CHEATING, isn't it?  Guess everything needs to be PC now-a-days.  (For those who care, I'm copying the exact terminology the college uses at the end of this post.)


Of course, I was right in my belief that both the situations referred to in the previous post are considered examples of academic dishonesty by the college.   Thanks for all your inputs on the 2 situations and here is how I, the naive and newly minted adjunct faculty, handled the situtations.


First Event:  The identical homework.

I pulled both the offending students aside the next class and returned their homework assignments to them with a grade of a zero.  I informed them that while working together on the assignment was acceptable, it was completely unacceptable to turn in the exact same work under their own name.  That was plagiarism.  I said I would be carefully checking all their future assignments and better not come across another such "similarity" otherwise I would be reporting both of them to the Deans.  And added, they should consider themselves lucky that they were just getting a 0 this time and not being reported.


Second Event:  The quiz cheater.

Since I saw this student cheating on their quiz, I felt I couldn't wait to confront them and actually pulled them aside as they were leaving class that evening.  I stated that I watched them take answers from their neighbor's quiz, and that the two quizzes were identical in their responses (including many blatantly wrong answers).  Initially the student denied it.  Said they were just "thinking" even though it might have appeared they were looking at their neighbor's paper.   I didn't buy it.   Told them that they would be getting a 0 for the quiz, and in the future I wanted them to sit in an isolated part of the room whenever there was a quiz or an exam.   And again, I stated that if I noticed anything fishy in the future, I would be reported them to the college.


My knees were knocking dealing with both situations.  Please tell me I'll get better at dealing with these sort of confrontations?   



4.5 ACADEMIC DISHONESTY

When College officials award credit, degrees and certificates, they must assume the absolute integrity of the

work done by the student; therefore, it is important that students maintain the highest standard of honor in their

scholastic work.

Academic dishonesty shall not be condoned. When such misconduct is established as having occurred, it

subjects the student to possible disciplinary actions ranging from admonition to dismissal, along with any grade

penalty the instructor might, in appropriate cases, impose. Procedural safeguards of due process and appeal

are available to the student in disciplinary matters.

Academic dishonesty, as a general rule, involves one of the following acts:

a. Cheating on an examination or quiz, including the giving, receiving or soliciting of information and the

unauthorized use of notes or other materials during the examination or quiz.

b. Buying, selling, stealing or soliciting any material purported to be the unreleased contents of a forthcoming

examination, or the use of such material.

c. Substituting for another person during an examination or allowing such substitution for one's self.

d. Plagiarizing. This is the act of appropriating passages from the work of another individual, either word for

word or in substance, and representing them as one's own work. This includes any submission of written

work other than one's own.

e. Colluding with another person in the preparation or editing of assignments submitted for credit, unless such

collaboration has been approved in advance by the instructor.

f. Knowingly furnishing false information to the College; forgery and alteration or use of College documents or

instruments of identification with the intent to defraud.

2 comments:

  1. OMG you're so awesome. I'm seriously bookmarking this for the next time I deal with cheaters. I wish I could just be so straightforward. I get all wishy washy

    ReplyDelete