Thursday, March 12, 2009

I don't get it....

So I gave my lab students an option last week.  I had been hearing grumblings about how unreasonable I am with not accepting late assignments.  So I decided to be the nice guy (for once.. no really, I think I'm overly nice and accommodating, my husband says I'm a softy when it comes to my students) and announced in lab that I would accept one late assignment from them all.  

However, there were two stipulations: 
1) it had to be e-mailed to me by midnight Sunday, March 8th (5 days after announcing this)
2) the grade would be based out of 80% rather than a 100%.   For most of them, this would mean  potentially getting an 80 on an assignment they previously had a 0 on.

The students were all very enthused and profusely thanked me.

Fast forward to Monday, March 9th.  I check my e-mail.  And have 1 assignment in there.  From a student who has gotten perfect scores on every assignment, yet had to miss one class due to a death in the family, and thus needed to make up a homework.

1.  In case you missed that, here it is again.  1.

Out of 31 students.  Each of which had at least one assignment missing and would have to take a 0 for that grade unless they used this opportunity to make it up.

I think I was in disbelief.  Do students these days really not care?  Or is it just this bunch?  I have to believe there are better students out there, otherwise I just don't think I can continue on the academic track.  Am I just setting myself up for only dealing with a lower quality student by adjuncting at a community college?   (That sounds so egotistical and I apologize.)  And if so, does that mean my experience of adjuncting there is not really serving the purpose I intended it to, to give me a realistic view of what its like to teach.

ps- I also got another e-mail this morning from a student complete with their make-up assignment.  (sigh)  What part of "by midnight on Sunday, March 8th" did they not understand?

2 comments:

  1. I'm at a public big 4 year University w/ lots of research and lots of undergrads. The undergrads here sound a lot like the ones you have now. Sometimes you meet a couple of outstanding students and sometimes a whole class is pretty great but a lot of the time it amazes me, how little they want to put in but how much they want out of a class.

    You put in extra effort, gave them a second chance and they missed it. Too bad for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is often how it is. They really appreciate being given the opportunity, but often choose not to take it. I guess they learn something that way...

    ReplyDelete